Barff Bird Observations 2017.
Wednesday 6th December. 0800am.

A mild start. Becoming cloudy and colder later. Meeting with Geoff Lomas of Yorkshire Water later.

Barff Birds

Pink Footed Geese heard flying over the Barff.
Redpoll Flock still around the Old Pinewood Clearing.

Other Birds
Jay, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit,
Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Wood Pigeon, Black Headed Gull, Crow and Magpie.

Derek

[Image: IMG_2685.jpg]

Saturday 9th December. 0800am. Sunrise.

Cold. -2 Degrees. Frosty. Clear Sky. Nice Sunrise. Cold on my bike!

Barff Birds

A collection of Thrush near the Heathland including a few Redwing, a Mistle Thrush and several Blackbirds.
Jay, Nuthatch and a Great Spotted Woodpecker noisily calling this morning.

Other Birds
Great Tit, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Song Thrush, Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Crow, Magpie and Wood Pigeon.
Black Headed Gull overhead.
[Image: IMG_2714.jpg]

Monday 11th December. 0815 am.

Very cold. Minus 2 at least. On my bike. Bad idea really!
A dusting of snow on the woodland floor. A hard frost.
Fairly cloudy.

A few Skylark in fields leading up to the Barff.

Up to 20 Redwing around the car park and Silver Birch area.
A solitary Mistle Thrush in the Old Pinewood Clearing.

Other Birds
Bullfinch, Long Tailed Tit, Great Tit. Lots of Blackbirds. Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Magpie, Crow and Wood Pigeon.

Derek
[Image: IMG_2730.jpg]

Wednesday 13th December. 0820am.
A milder day than the last few days but still cold with a westerly breeze blowing over the Barff.
A dull day with rain forecast later.

An eerily quiet day away from the car park area. This is to be expected on cold December days but soon, when we get milder days ,I would expect more activity from
Resident woodland birds.

Todays birds
Redwing still around the car park area. Jay calling in the Silver Birch Wood. A few Redpoll heard over the woods canopies.
Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Wren, Dunnock, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Chaffinch,
Goldfinch, Crow, Wood Pigeon, Magpie and Black Headed Gull nearby.

Derek.
[Image: IMG_2754.jpg]

Sunday 17th December. 0900am.

A cold frosty morning. Clouding over quite quickly and by mid morning rain was falling.

So quiet!! Away from the car park area there were stretches of woodland were nothing was seen or heard.
In some areas of the woodland there was signs of life.
Quite a few Blackbirds turning the leaves on the woodland floor especially along its eastern flanks.
A Green Woodpecker briefly calling near to the Reservoir perimeter fence.
At least 10 Redwing seen and heard in the Silver Birch wood.
A male Bullfinch feeding amongst the nettles at the bottom of Taphill.
A few Redpoll calling above the Silver Birch woodland canopy.

Other Birds
Two Great Spotted Woodpecker calling. Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Chaffinch,
Magpie, Crow and Wood Pigeon.

Derek.

[Image: IMG_2807.jpg]

Wednesday 20th December. 0830am. Tomorrow is the shortest day.

A mild day. Still, cloudy with a little sun at times.

Barff Lane.
Pleasantly surprised to see a covey of 14 Grey Partridge on the stubble field on the left, on the approach to the Barff Woodland.
Not sure if these have been reared and released locally or whether they are from natural wild stock. Anyway it’s so nice to see these
rare farmland birds. These birds will not take too kindly to any further housing development on Barff Lane!

Barff Birds

At least a dozen Redwing observed around the woodland today.
At flock of over 30 Redpoll feeding on Birch around the Old Pinewood Clearing.
A handful of Bullfinch seen today. Without a doubt this year has been a successful one for the Bullfinch on the Barff.

Other Birds
All four species of Tit quite active around the Barff today. Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Goldcrest, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird,
Chaffinch, Magpie, Crow and Wood Pigeon.

Derek.
[Image: IMG_2867.jpg]

Saturday 23rd December. 0800 am. Before Sunrise.

Another exceptionally mild day. A fine sunrise but mostly cloudy with a slight breeze.

Barff Lane
2 Yellowhammer over lane.

Barff Birds.
A bit of activity with Great and Blue Tits.
Buzzard seen by local dog walkers.
Four Herring Gull over me on the Bypass Trail.
A few Redpoll around the Pinewood Clearing.

Other Birds
Jackdaw, Crow, Magpie, Wood Pigeon, Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Goldcrest, Coal Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Nuthatch and
Chaffinch. A few Black Headed Gull nearby.

Derek.

[Image: IMG_2872.jpg]

Saturday 30th December. 0815 am. Last visit of 2017.

A cold damp misty start on the Barff. The Circular path was like glass this morning.
As I left it seemed notably colder with drizzle falling on my bike ride home. It brightened up a little later with
strengthening winds.

There was a bit of activity around the wood. As we enter 2018 there is always very slight hints that Spring is not that far away,
especially on milder winter days.

A Great Tit was in song in the Silver Birch Wood and 2 Blue Tit were also singing.
Four Great Spotted Woodpecker were calling and 3 Nuthatches were also heard.
Blackbird males were also observed chasing each other and Wood Pigeon were quite vocal.

Other Birds
Wintering Redwing were present around the Car park and into the Silver Birch wood.
Bullfinch observed at 3 sites.
Coal Tit, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Chaffinch, Crow, Magpie, Pheasant and Treecreeper.

Squirrels were everywhere and observed digging for hidden food.

I would like to wish everyone that visits the Barff and reads my observations a very happy and peaceful New Year.

Derek
[Image: IMG_2975.jpg]